Let us lead
“I feel I can now be honest about my strengths, my own limitations and about how I learn best”
Developing self-confidence, learning life skills, making friends and finding a voice are just a few of the many benefits our athletes experience through being part of Special Olympics GB.
The Athlete Leadership Programme provides a way for athletes to showcase their talents and interests, undergo training and learn new skills. The Programme gives Special Olympics athletes the opportunity to take on new roles and responsibilities, on and off the sports field.
These roles give athletes a chance to:
- Experience governance and become self-advocates (as members of Athlete Committees, Athlete Representatives and Board members)
- Share their sports experience with other athletes (as Coach Assistants)
- Represent other Special Olympics athletes as public speakers or as Ambassadors
- Learn new skills they can apply to Special Olympics, as volunteers, media representatives etc.
- Explore employment opportunities with our Corporate Partners
- Gain advice and support with entrepreneurial ideas
The programme prepares Special Olympics athletes for inclusion into society at large, increasing their chances to live independently, to make new friends or to find a job.
Our flagship Athlete Leadership Programme unlocks the leadership ability of individuals with and without intellectual disabilities through training and development on and off the field of play aiding the personal and professional growth of athletes.
At Special Olympics GB our athletes are at the heart of every decision we make as an organisation and our Athlete Leadership Team (ALT) play a vital role.
Our current Athlete Leadership Team is formed of seven Special Olympics GB athletes whose role includes:
- Representing the voices of 6,500 athletes with intellectual disabilities across Great Britain
- Making sure the voice of our athletes is heard in all major decisions across the organisation from local clubs to National Office and the Board.
- Collectively promoting Special Olympics GB in local communities
- Leading by example and champion inclusion
Our Athlete Leadership Programme has been developed to fit into the Special Olympics International framework of Athlete Leadership, meaning there is a pathway for our Athletes, from our clubs and regions, to a national and international level.
We also have Athlete Representatives who represent athletes at a club level. We are excited to grow this number over the next few years and help develop the next generation of Athlete Leaders.