What is MATP?
The Special Olympics Motor Activity Training Programme (MATP) is a unique programme specifically designed for athletes of all ages with Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties (PMLD) or complex needs.
MATP provides genuine opportunities for training and competition for individuals with PMLD and complex needs. Opportunities are realistic and tailored to the individual. It focuses on the abilities and enables athletes to work and showcase motor skills and sporting achievements that are relevant to them.
Through MATP we look to:
• Increase physical activity leading to improvement in motor skills, physical fitness, and functional ability
• Enable more opportunities to perform sports activities
• Development of a more positive self-image through skill acquisition
• Enable greater interaction through sport and physical activity
• Provide more opportunities to develop friendships with other athletes, family members and engage the local community
Like to get involved in MATP?
We have a dedicated team and network working nationally to embed MATP within both education and community settings. We have numerous schools and clubs across the country and have a range of bespoke training available to support the implementation of MATP.
If you would like to discuss this in relation to your own setting and what this means for you, please contact either:
For more information on MATP in schools, colleges or community support/care provision.
Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
MATP virtual training workshops
These will take place on:
- Thursday 5 October - 9.30am
- Thursday 26 October - 9.30pm
- Thursday 16 November - 3.30pm